Times Square Neighborhood in New York City, New York Click here to find Small office sublets in your neighborhood
Find Small office sublets in your neighborhood (Times Square, New York ,New York)
The Times Square neighborhood is perhaps the most iconic area of Manhattan in the minds of most tourists in New York City. The area runs from 42nd to 50th Streets, and 5th Avenue to the Hudson River. The Times Square South neighborhood is just below, from 36th to 41st Street, and between Fifth Avenue and the Hudson River.
It was originally called “Times Square” in 1904 when the offices of the New York Times moved there. Early on the area was a “red-light district” peppered with vaudeville theaters and some opera houses. Today, the area has been completely revitalized and the seedy tenants are all gone and have been replaced by a plethora of legitimate entertainment venues as well as dining opportunities from many national chains and a few unique restaurants as well.
It is also known as “The Crossroads of the World” and “The Great White Way” – because it was one of the first neighborhoods in the United States to have electric lighting. This is where, every New Year’s Eve, the ball drops on national television.
Prominent office buildings in this neighborhood include:
· The New York Times Building (242 West 41st Street)
· 4 Times Square (The Conde Nast Building)
· Bank of America Tower (1 Bryant Park, 1111 Avenue of the Americas)
· Eleven Times Square (644 Eighth Avenue, Times Square Plaza)
· 10 Times Square (1441 Broadway)
· Times Square Tower (1459 Broadway)
· 1500 Broadway (Times Square Plaza)
· 1515 Broadway
· 1475 Broadway (1 Times Square)
· 1501 Broadway (Paramount Building)
This iconic neighborhood encompasses in excess of 45,000,000 square feet of commercial office space + retail space which is roughly 10% of the Manhattan office space market. The Times Square central business district is equivalent in size (total office space) to the entire market in Philadelphia, San Francisco or Atlanta.
Famous restaurants in the area include:
· Bobby Van’s Grill (120 West 45th Street)
· Aureole (135 West 42nd Street)
· Orso (322 West 46th Street)
· Carmines (200 West 44th Street)
· Joe Allen (326 West 46th Street)